MeatballWiki | RecentChanges | Random Page | Indices | Categories
This page simply attempts to create two different design proposals for a WikiLog. Feel free to change/edit/criticize/challenge ....whatever.
Ideally, WikiLog design has been heavily biased towards a more WikiWiki like functionality. Then why are WikiLogs not a favorite for bloggers? It seems to me that this purely rests on the tools. I am going to propose 2 deign perspectives that I bet should be considered by any WikiLog developer.
- BlogMash: A pared down WikiLog that is ideal for typical single-person blogging requirements. Design perspective is aligned strongly to the current definition of a typical blogging engine.
- WikiMash: Fully-rounded WikiLog. Design perspective draws its concept from a typical WikiWiki.
User (read Blogger) Requirements
- Ability to PostAndRun?.
- Chronological ordering of posts.
- Automatic ownership of posts created.
Blogmash WikiLog Design Concept
- Stripped down Revisions System. Preferably an admin-only feature.
- Automatic timestamp of each post.
- No DiffEngine?..
- Lack of NoSuchPageSyntax.
- Registrations required to edit pages/posts.
- Automatic page/post ownership. User's cannot edit posts/pages they do not own.
- Comments engine.
- Open collaboration.
- Chronological ordering of posts plus creation of normal wiki pages.
- Version Controls.
Wikimash WikiLog Design Concept
- Full version control system.
- DiffEngine? compulsory.
- Ability to (or not to) blog, i.e to post wiki pages to the FrontPage.
- DocumentMode and ThreadMode page structure.
- TalkPages? that can be communally edited (is this feature necessary when a WikiWiki has feature 5 above?).
- No automatic page ownership (it is a wiki in the first place).