| Random Page
Difficult persons often shared certain behaviour that deviates from common standards. This is not about the topics of their discussions or aggressive style, this is obvious and there are other pages that talk about that. There are subtle elements of style, that can act as a warning signals to the online community. Don't start fighting, the WarningSignals
are just indicators that something may
be wrong. Be more careful, think twice about your words, read between the lines. WarningSignals
can just be habits of individual style or happen accidentally.
Deviation from CommunityExpectations.
- deviating ways to sign: for example ~~UserName (or signature before the posting)
- very careless spelling: no example
- excessive use of upper case: this is REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT, you know
Appeals to ego (theirs or ours):
- large percentage of self-description. For example: "you know, I'm a big fighter for freedom."
- outright flattery. For example: "this is a great place and you XYZ are a true scholar and gentleman."
- unusual redundancy or repetition
- excessive RecentChangesJunkieness
- rapid replies to anything
- excessive editing
- editing other people's words
- replies interleaved between other people's text (called colloquially interruptions)
- AntiAuthoritarian rants
- claims of fascism, Nazism
- anonymous postings (cf. AnonymityIsPower) -- with the caveat that usually it is a AnonymousDonor, not an aggressor
Deviations seem to have the meaning to set the person apart from the community, to draw a line, to show to be different.
A single signal means little, but three or more of these signals add up to a serious warning.