MeatballWiki | RecentChanges | Random Page | Indices | Categories
An "IndexingScheme" that lists a small random sample of pages. It's not really an IndexingScheme, but it is an interesting view to have. It's a very nice way to promote PageChurn and works well with the "random memory" analogy.
See also RandomPage.
After mulling the idea over, I've hacked together a couple scripts to generate a listing of random pages on Wiki:RandomPages -- SunirShah
Some things I've learnt about running a RandomPages script:
- Randomize the number of pages. This gives some days broader scope than others. Narrower scope allows readers to hit every page. Broader scope increases the probability that something will be of interest. 5 to 20 pages is a good range.
- Run the script infrequently. About once a day is good.
- Run the script at random times. Don't run it at noon every day, but at 10:37am one day, 2:42pm the next.
- It is worth noting the kinds of pages that come up in RandomPages. It will give you a feel for what the real interests are of the community.
- Don't be discouraged if not many people read it or if not many discussions flow from it. This is how your mind works. You ignore most of the random thoughts you have, but occasionally you run with one. This happens too with RandomPages.
[30 October 2000] I've stopped the script. I have to fix it.