| Random Page
I am the Co-founder and Editor of MeatballWiki
- Sunir, on one hand I feel totally goofy and inadequate to present to you a BarnStar. but then again, I really feel you have created a really good space. I appreciate being involved in MeatBall on many levels. -- Best, MarkDilley
- January 26, 2004 For supporting the community all this time - and StephenGilbert today. May we carry on raising this barn together. -- ChrisPurcell
- January 3, 2005 For making Meatball richer with the TheAcademy. Great work.-- HelmutLeitner
- [2:06pm August 15, 2022] The Internet stresses me out. I have no more SenseOfWonder? when browsing around. I long for a GreatRebalance.
- [12:28pm January 6, 2022] On my goal to get control over my Internet use, I nerfed my Reddit account. Definitely getting into spats was not a good new habit to start 2022, so better to nip that one in the bud right quick. Positive contributions only.
- I know I'm anxious about SaaS? Connect, my conference in April, but I will only guarantee its failure by failing to act.
- [10:26am January 5, 2022] Well, another year, another lockdown in COVID chaos. I spent Monday January 3 picking fights with anti-vaxxers on Reddit to let out my anger and I realized that I was just amping myself up DoomScrolling instead of getting in control of my life. Earlier in December I was reminded of MarcusAurelius?'s Meditations which reminded me that I was angry about the omicron wave of the pandemic because I expected the pandemic would be over, and I wasn't prepared for the worst.
- This gave me pause about what MeatballWiki used to be in my life. A place of constructive use of social media, where we controlled what we focused on rather than having TheAlgorithm decide for us how to feel. So, let me see if I can use this place for that. Screaming into the cloud isn't how I wish to live my life.
- [12:37m July 6, 2021] I've been busy raising a Seed round for AppBind? and setting up my annual conference SaaSConnect?. MeatballWiki is definitely not a priority.
- I have to look at our anonymous developer's code to see if we can migrate to a better code base.
- I'm prone to add UserLogin?s, likely with a SocialLogin?. I'd prefer LinkedIn?, but I recognize that MeatballWiki attracts OpenSource and OpenContent folks who may not be aligned with LinkedIn?, so we'll see what I ultimately do. Thoughts?
- Anonymous contributions would be lost, but they seem to be of marginal value right now. There may be other strategies. One wild idea is to issue only so many anonymous tokens per day that are randomly generated pseudonyms. All changes attached to a token would be revertable by an authenticated user if we had proper VersionControl? (KeptChanges?). Someone rotating IPs with a VirtualPrivateNetwork? could only consume so many tokens a day, limiting how much destruction was possible per day. This would be a DenialOfService to potential positive anonymous contributors, but meh.
- Another strategy is to use a BrowserFingerprint? to break through VirtualPrivateNetwork?, but I suspect this would be grossly unpopular.
- [12:10am May 4, 2021] The parser works! It only has some link encodings left to translate.
- ISBN 0-471-25311-1 (alternate, search)
- Probably a good call switching to regex, the markup rules are probably quite easy to implement manually. Question: Will you be implementing namespaces? Your userspace and mainspace pages seem to have no difference in prefix, etc. --WikiMacaroons? at enwiki, 5th June, 2021.
- Unicode in WikiLink?s. May have to switch to PyPi? regex module
- [11:10am May 3, 2021] I got the parser to run through TextFormattingRules and generate HTML. Still bugs, but progress.
- [11:23pm May 2, 2021] I got the Python WikixParser running, but it's buggy. Lots of translation issues from Ruby, but I'm working through it.
- [12:41pm April 29, 2021] On one hand, I got vaccinated on Friday and I'm elated! 💉 On the other hand, I feel bad for my colleagues in India. Really bad.
- The rewrite of the WikixParser into Python continues. It's going to be buggy because of a number of Rubyisms that are bad language choices like mixing and matching member dereferences and function calls and accessors, but that's fine. As long as I get an executing script that I can plug away tests against, that's a win.
- Progress on that moves at the pace of a hobby, as appropriate. It's my daily moment of zen and that is fine.
- In my professional life where I run an OnlineCommunity+conference+trade association, I've been levelling up the process at the [Cloud Software Association] to make our weekly livestreams and podcasts more permanent as well as hopefully relaunching the conference in November in-person in San Francisco. Talked to my friends at SaaStock? as well today and they are trying to being the EO experience online, as we have been at the Cloud Software Association as well. I'm sad no event in Dublin this year.
- ZoomFatigue is real, but if you provide a positive place to answer core anxieties, it doesn't matter. People need to keep moving forward in life.
- [2:28pm April 18, 2021] I continue to pick away at translating the WikixParser into Python as a form of ProductiveProcrastination, for moments when I need to find a moment of zen during the COVID19 pandemic.
- I like LionKimbro's CommunityWiki:MiniCubes project.
- [12:32pm April 3, 2021] I found the old WikixParser and laid out a scope for a MinimumViableWiki rewrite of the script as done by anonymous (until they pop their head up, I'll leave them anonymous).
- Why are we doing this now? During the pandemic a number of ol' timers got back together. There's a bit of a CommunityWiki:WikiRevival. Personally, it has weighed on me FishBowling MeatballWiki in a state of vandalism. With others asking about MeatballWiki and offering to work on it, I at least could say yes.
- [11:14am March 29, 2021] Made some minor CSS style improvements. Hung out with WardCunningham's FederatedWiki? group on Sunday, which was fun. Also it's nice to see CommunityWiki active again.
- Hey Sunir, WikiMacaroons? again. I'm loving the new CSS. I'm assuming you're just hosting the fedwiki meatball on this domain. --WikiMacaroons? at enwiki, 29th March 2021
- Just noticed the page history CSS has been made much clearer too. --WikiMacaroons? at enwiki, 29th March 2021
- Enjoyed hearing from you on the FedWikiDojo? call! Looking forward to exploring MeatballWiki again and learning from your experiences. This page may be of interest to anybody curious about these calls: [Federated Wiki Dojo] -Pete Forsyth
- [1:24am March 22, 2021] I despammed the site. We still experience Gateway timeout problems. We have to rehost to a new server (DigitalOcean?) and likely change the codebase completely. I've lost a lot of my old code to solve this problem. One option is Ward's FederatedWiki?. https://github.com/fedwiki/wiki
- [12:15am, October 29, 2020] I'd like to rehost MeatballWiki on better wiki software; any suggestions? I could revert to UseModWiki core. The current codebase is a mess and I don't have time to fix it.
- Maybe you can help? Who's still reading this? What's inspiring you about the Internet now?
- Throwing in my interest here at the rehosting initiative. --WikiMacaroons? at enwiki, 14th March 2021
- Fantastic. But who are you? :)
- I'm an editor on english wikipedia.
- [12:47am, June 11, 2020] Locking MeatballWiki has been weighing on my conscience for years. I'm not sure where this body of work fits into the world any more. I hope I've grown since it was created.
These are the ideas on the table for the next version of MeatballWiki's script that at least I am lobbying for, but not necessarily everyone agrees with. Of course, others can add stuff here if they like, but this space is meant as my little notepad for script development suggestions like my Writing Queue above is for content development.
While I blew away my OnlineDiary from here, I don't know how long I can last using my LiveJournal before I implode. The RSS include thing that OpenWiki does, while possibly bad on FeatureKarma, may be useful.
And whatever else I wrote on InfiniteMonkey. Perhaps I should just write InfiniteMonkey.
Welcome "back". Its been quiet while you've busy elsewhere.
And again ... Its nice to see your name appear on RecentChanges. Hope things are going well.
Congratulations! on freshBooks. I enjoyed our chat about this and hope it spawns a few thought that you'll find interesting during this fortnight.
It's a pleasure to see you posting ( DistantLand ). I didn't have time to even finish reading it, but I did make a few DiiGo 'annotations' for myself (in case you're interested). I'm hoping to add a few this weekend. -- HansWobbe
Congratulations on the engagement, Sunir! -- EugeneEricKim
Wow! Congradulations, Sunir! -- LionKimbro
I join in congrats! -- DaveJacoby
- ) Congratulations, Sunir! -- SamRose
Congratulations! -- DavidCary
Congratulation to the integration of dedicated work and income -- FridemarPache
Sunir, happy to learn of your happiness in the field of relationships! Have a wonderful new year and hope to cross paths. Best, MarkDilley
Sunir, big congratulations with regard to your marriage! Now we can be looking forward to small Sunetties... ;-) -- HelmutLeitner
Big congratulations. Although it [doesn't seem right that we're old enough] to do that ;-). -- DavidCary
Wow, thank you both very much! I hope my next 'baby', though, is BibWiki v2. Well, that and our first house, which we're actively looking to buy now. (We are indeed 'nesting'.) -- SunirShah
Wow, congratulations! -- BayleShanks
Congratulations to your marriage! -- MarkusLude
- Congratulations on becoming a home owner!
Nathanial, you probably underestimate meatball and Sunir. He is one of the first wiki hosts, a pioneer of the first hour. Meatball has seen true wars of utmost ferrocity (remember Robert Abitbol? FightingIsBoring?). Other wikis/hosts closed down, mb carried on. What you see as a dangerous fire is not more than a little flame to meatball. That you try to inform Sunir about his options is a joke like telling Tiger Woods the options to hit his ball. -- HelmutLeitner
- March 29, 2021. Ironically, it was this and similar comments that led me to realize we were down the wrong path and so I ultimately FishBowled MeatballWiki. It's not healthy to be fighting trolls and spammers all the time. There is no honour or glory or joy in it. We all deserved better. -- SunirShah