| Random Page
The fear that feels good because it provides self-actualization.
VanityFear is based on this rationalization:
- I am powerful and important
- Because of my power and importance, I may become a chosen target for the Lawless Element in society.
- I can afford to take, and need to take, big HardSecurity steps to keep myself safe.
- As I am important, attacking me is a crime against nature, and warrants punishment.
Usually, none of this is true.
In MeatSpace, this is part of the BigYuppieSuburbanLie? and goes hand-in-hand with CarCulture. A count of the number of alarm-company placards along houses on Piedmont Avenue is enough to show how widely it is believed.
SoftSecurity is the opposite of VanityFear:
- I am boring and insignificant
- I will only become a target for the Lawless Element by happenstance
- Technological steps have a higher price than just repairing the damage done
See also the related ViceAndVirtue.