| Random Page
What about the simple idea to get a WebAnnotation
with additional Wiki power?
[Diigo] has a sticky note Web annotation engine, that could be upgraded to serve Wiki communities
This page serves several functions:
- it is a replacement for sticky notes ( as a AnnotatingWikiPage? to diigo, I am just testing, what can be done. )
- it sketches the idea of a new community tool ( the combination of diigo with wiki )
A midi Mediator would simply link to wikipages like this: <WikiPrefix>:<WikiPage> e.g. Meatball:AnnotationWiki. Even Meatball:NotYetExistingPage? should work.
If a user clicked on the latter, they would get an empty page to enter their contribution.
There are hundreds of WikiPrefix es, that would give you a boost to for new contributors. To make life easy, the mediator should insert a backlink into the (empty) target wikipage.
The backlink points to the page, that is to be annotated. The same wikipage can serve as an annotation to different Webpages, so a list of backlinks should be inserted. Besides that a Webpage can have annotations in different wikis, e.g. in a rhethorics wiki, in a sociology wiki, in a technically oriented wiki. .... lets call this social filtering of annotations.
Web page owners (preferabably in Webrings) should be encouraged to invite WikiAnnotations? in order to weave the web in a more sophisticated way than in form of a simple "ring".
To amplify the motivation to realize this simple idea, I put a copy of it into Meatball:WikiAnnotationMediator
- As soon as a diigo-enabled browser points to an diigo annotated Webpage, the user sees all annotation markers with the respective WikiPrefix 'es and can immediately jump to the appropriate annotating WikiPage 's.
- for convenience the show-marker-mode should be user controllable (by some filter option)
- Each annotation marker comes in form of a numbered bracket pair, e.g. >1> textfragment1 text2 <1<, of course with much smaller picture elements and with smaller subscript numbers
- annotation markers may overlap like this >1> textA >2> textB <1< textC <2<
- as soon as the cursor hovers over
- a marker, a combobox opens with a list of links to wikis in the form
- newWikiPrefix:newPage [hinttext] (for adding a new user entry and optionally a hinttext)
- p1:page1 (already existing links)
- a comboboxentry, the resp. hinttext window opens (e.g. showing a copy of the first short paragraph of the target wiki page)
- as soon as a selected text is e.g. alt-clicked, the user can input a new external Wiki link plus optionally a hinttext.
- From each Web Page the user can leave their annotations into their favorite target wikis.
- ( From each WikiPage the user may also leave backlink URLs together with a single notification click, whereupon the WikiAnnotationMediator reads the backlink list and automatically shows the resp. annotations as general comments without markers).
- As the annotations become more and more wiki-community specific, it becomes easier to detect and remove unspecific spam.
- At the current date Nov. 2006, "incoming links" to a webpage are hitherto a scarce resource, giving rise to spam. As soon as social bookmarking communities take over, the web-ecology/nomy has a chance to change.
- There should be a mechanism to shift Off topic Annotations (into some RelocationWiki, useful for different community actions)
Having wikis be more specific on the topics they allow on them will reduce spam tremendously. Mediators will have more knowledge of a specific topic and will be able to filter off topic edits [Wiki Mediation]
- See also InterMap, Fridemar. -- ChrisPurcell
- Thank you Chris.