| Random Page
The "black board" (other names are common) is used by some wikis for talking about general topics. Typically entries are put under a date header, newest on top. This page is considered a "neutral page" with relaxed OffTopic
handling (similar to a HomePage
). Older discussions are either deleted or saved into archive pages.
- it creates a space for topics that don't fit on a homepage but can't be put to a existing or new page directly
- many users like it and use it to ask questions, announce events, talk about conflicts ...
- it's thread mode that can be deleted after a while without problems (contrary to a normal page, if you force it there)
- it reduced conflicts
- it creates some additional traffic
- it's thread mode and only part of it will produce permanent results
- it will attract some additional OT traffic
- As with all discussion, it diverts effort and attention from the development of 'real' page content.
PATTERN FORM (WikiPatternLanguage
- Pattern Name: BlackBoardPattern
- Context: Everyday wiki community life
- Problem: Some users have difficulties to find a place for temporary or maybe OffTopic content without initiating conflicts. Usually only homepages have this quality, but this is often not felt to be a good place to get the attention of the community.
- Solution: Create a page like BlackBoard, WaterCooler or CommunityForum where you can put content freely without OT restrictions. The page content is not protected and doesn't need to be refactored. Older contributions are deleted after a while (maybe 1-3 months) or when the page becomes too large.
- Resulting Context: The athmosphere is more relaxed, there is a place for everything that doesn't fit on standard pages. OT content doesn't create additional work.
- Examples: [TolkienWiki:MessageBoard], [BücherWiki:KaffeeHaus], [GründerWiki:Forum]
- See also: HomePage, OffTopic, TestPage
END OF PATTERN FORM
Comments / Discussion
A meatball messageboard?
moved from QuestionsAndAnswers:
- Q: Is there a page for general meatball chit-chat? For those occasions when you can't really find the relavent page to say something on.
- A: You could create a page MessageBoard following the BlackBoardPattern.
...bearing in mind the above 'cons'. How does everyone feel about having a general MessageBoard page? I could go ahead and create it, but d'you think it will get used? I did have something (a small point) in mind when I asked the question, but apart from that... If it was linked from the MeatballWiki homepage I guess it would get used. -- HarryWood
Harry, feel free to create it. Lead it. See what happens. That's really the only way to find out. As long as a sustainable group of people use it, it has value. -- SunirShah