MeatballWiki | RecentChanges | Random Page | Indices | Categories
Where is it?
Location: California Room.
What is it?
The WikiSym Speed Demo, organized by Meatball, is a great way to get to know your fellow conference attendees, and more importantly, for them to get to know you. Have you done something cool? Does your project need more attention? Do you have a great new idea that you just need to bounce off people? The Speed Demo is an important event at WikiSym to get your message out. The Speed Demo offers an informal venue to showcase your work, one-on-one with the audience.
You don't need much to prepare. All you need is a laptop and something to say for five minutes. Five minutes?! Don't worry, you'll just be saying it over and over again. To give you the maximum exposure and feedback, you will present to only a handful of audience members at a time in an intimate setting. Every five minutes, you'll meet a fresh new audience.
It's simple. It's fast. It's fun.
Who should participate?
Anyone who is attending WikiSym that has something they want to show to the world should participate. Don't be coy. A Speed Demo is a lot of fun for both the audience and presenters. And best of all, it's easy. All you need is a laptop and a five minute message.
How does it work?
For the first 60 minutes:
- Each presenter is given their own station. All you need to bring is a laptop and a message. Please bring your own laptop, or sign up at the laptop exchange below. Note, Internet may not be available. Please be prepared to present off-line.
- The audience is split into groups. The master of ceremonies will evenly divide audience members across each station.
- The Speed Demo begins. Start your pitch! You better be fast. Five minutes goes by faster than you think.
- A bell rings. Sooner than you think, the master of ceremonies will ring a bell. Stop your pitch.
- The audience rotates stations. The packs of roving audience members have one minute to move to the next station. The next Speed Geek begins right away!
It's that simple.
For the last 30 minutes, all presenters will be given the rest of the time for a prolonged demonstration to audience members interested in their particular presentation.
When & where?
WikiSym is October 17-18, San Diego, CA.
The Speed Demo will be Monday, 3:30pm-5:00pm.
If you are interested, just sign your name and e-mail address here and give a short one or two sentence description of what you are going to present. If you don't know yet, just write anything that sounds cool. Hey, it's informal. Have fun.
- I would like to demonstrate features of LizzyWiki for maintaining multilingual wiki sites. Unfortunately, I chair Session 3 which happens at same time as the Speed Demos. Is there a way I could demo this in another WikiSym venue? -- AlainDésilets
- I intend to make it and it'll be about Wiki:WikiChangeProposal / ViewPoint --CostinCozianu
- I will demonstrate EditThisPagePHP, a web editor for a single page with RSS, diffs, trackbacks, ping, and access control -- ChristopherAllen
- I would present a distributed system architecture for wikis, explain how and why the semantic web is a good fit for wikis and argue for a semantic wiki exchange format :-) -- MaxVoelkel
- I will demonstrate WikiGateway -- BayleShanks,
- I am interested in short discussions regarding new users to wiki. Included in that I would like to discuss SwitchWiki and the wiki dmoz idea. Contact me if interested in making this idea more solid. -- Best, MarkDilley mailto:email@example.com
- I would like to present my project, the WikiDossier?. That's a server side software for creating PDF dossiers out of Wikipedia content. AnttiKapanen
- I will demonstrate [wikiHow] -- [Jack H]
- I will demonstrate [CoTor], an AJAX collaborative editor front end for wikis of all flavors -- BrandonCsSanders
- I will demonstrate the advanced features of [XWiki] -- LudovicDubost?
There is still a lot of space left. Feel free to keep signing up.
If you need a laptop, please write your name and e-mail address below. If some kind volunteer has a spare laptop to lend, please contact someone of the list below. If you agree, please remove the entry from the list.
Demo presenters will be able to publish a 1-2 page description in the proceedings.