MeatballWiki | RecentChanges | Random Page | Indices | Categories
We're in San Diego now. Notes from the trip down are at Dead Link: boo! http://wiki.wikisym.org/space/WikiVanning Archive.org link http://web.archive.org/web/20061231031333/ws2005.wikisym.org/space/WikiVanning
TedErnst and BrandonCsSanders are convening a 4 day OpenSpace WikiVanning event around WikiSym 2005. We're going to drive from Portland, OR down to WikiSym in San Diego CA in a rented vehicle (size depending upon the number of participants). During the trip there and back we are going to hold an OpenSpace style event where each participant gets to bounce their ideas off the others. Each direction (down and back up) for the trip should take 2 days. Potentially we are considering adding a swing up to Seattle as part of the trip.
Brandon, Ted, Lion, Mark and John are in for the road-trip. Ted has a room reservation for Sat arrival in San Diego and Weds departure. More are welcome in the room to save money. On the WikiSymWhosGoing page there are others looking for lodging as well as some other loding choices. If someone wants to find a cheaper room for us, go for it and I'll cancel Days Inn.
- BrandonCsSanders (confirmed) -- completely flexible on itinerary and "program" :)
- TedErnst (confirmed) -- fly into Portland on 13th (11pm), out of Portland on 23rd am
- LionKimbro (confirmed) -- Seattle-ite; Can help transport to/from Portland
- JohnAbbe (confirmed) -- Oakland
- MarkDilley -- (confirmed) -- In Tacoma late on the 12th.
- PhilMitchell (out) -- Will have just moved to Seattle, definitely want to be in touch I don't know whether PhilMitchell is still visiting meatball, but in an email he said, "I think wikivanning is out for me" -- Ethan
- EthanMcCutchen and LewisHoffman? (confirmed Oakland to Seattle) -- Eugene.
- Oct 13 Seattle ==> Portland (sleep at BrandonCsSanders's place)
- Oct 14 Portland ... 8am register additional drivers at Budget 10835 SW Canyon Rd, Beaverton OR 97005
- Oct 14 Portland ==> Eugene (1030am breakfast banquet offered by EthanMcCutchen and LewisHoffman?)
- Oct 14 Eugene ==> Oakland (sleep at JohnAbbe's place)
- Oct 15 Oakland ==> San Diego (check in to [Days Inn])
- WikiSym - 4 nights in San Diego
- Oct 19 San Diego ==> Oakland (sleep at JohnAbbe's place)
- Oct 20 Oakland ==> Portland
- Oct 21 Portland ==> Seattle (morning)
- Seattle ==> Portland 3 hrs with no stops
- Portland ==> Eugene 2 hrs with no stops
- Portland ==> Oakland 10-11 hrs with normal stops
- Eugene ==> Oakland 8-9 hrs with normal stops
- Oakland ==> San Diego 8 hrs with normal stops
Through Budget rent-a-car I've reserved a minivan that seats 7. Pickup at 6pm on 13th and return 6pm on the 21st. With only me as a driver the cost is $268.23 for unlimited mileage. To add drivers the cost is $304.22 plus $9/day per driver capped at $45/day.
- $268.23 Only brandon drives
- $376.22 One other driver
- $448.22 Two other drivers
We'll need to stop by the rental place after 8am on the 14th to sign up any additional drivers. Must be 25 with a drivers license.
MattisManzel: For the two days of your drive down to WikiSym and back up I want
- you to be broadband-perma-connected to the web
- a live stream audio to inside the car full duplex
- two live streams of cameras, one for inside the car, one view to the road
- gobby for everyone
All we need is one person with EVDO and http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/6a278ca927d05010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html
EthanMcCutchen says "more compelled by the journey than the destination". Which makes me ask is WikiSymPreWiki? Yup
ChristopheDucamp: bonjour Brandon. WikiVanning is a great idea. I'd like to translate it one day ;) Pehraps WikiCamionnage?, I still don't know. For the moment we think small in France. Currently testing a new CraoWiki:CoVoiturage inherited from CarCulture...
Notes for the trip are here: http://ws2005.wikisym.org/space/WikiVanning
Pulling out book etc references:
Turns out this is a way bigger project than I thought. Either because there aren't other references, or because of the sheer volume of notes. I got all the way to the bottom, but am not sure how well I processed any of it. Wow, what a trip that was! --TedErnst